Design System Process puzzle
What’s the best workflow to add new elements to your Design System? Gather your team and use our Process Puzzle to find out!
When do I use this tool?
The Process Puzzle can be used at different stages: you use it to update your team’s workflow or to determine a new one. We use it during our Future Flow exercise, which we use for the the take-off of a new Design System or enhancing the workflows when your Design System needs a boost.
How do you use the Process Puzzle?
Print the Process Puzzle on thick paper and cut out the cards. Afterwards, gather your team 🙂
Having trouble printing and cutting the cards? Contact us and we might send you a finished card-deck!
+/- 45 minutes
3 – 10 participants
- The Proces Puzzle, printed and cut
- Voting dots
- Pens and Markers
- Time Timer
The Process Puzzle does not stand alone, but is part of an exercise called Future Flow. That exercise in short:
- each person individually sketches an ‘ideal flow’ for getting new ideas into the Design System
- present your flow (1 minute per person)
- stick all flows on a wall
- give everyone voting dots, and create a heat-map of ‘interesting parts’ from every flow
- vote which flow you want to use as a starting point
- now use the cards from the process puzzle to sketch out the final flow. Take as starting point: “idea / application” (30 minutes)
- lastly add the role cards to the process: who is involved in what? (15 minutes)
Why should I think about my process?
Why another process? Don’t you have a design process, already? Our research into Design Systems in The Netherlands showed us that the biggest problem with design systems is work-process and adoption. That’s why we recommend taking another look at your process!
What should I do after the Process Puzzle?
A new process is just one part of your Design System. The next step is to actually use this process and to keep sharpening it. It is a good idea to plan a moment in which you re-evaluate your process, for example during a Design System Booster.
Now it’s time to fill up your Design System. For that you can make a nice start with our checklist. Did you use the Process Puzzle? Please send your feedback or questions to our Design System Lead Maurice! (or tag us on Instagram: @angi_studio). Good luck!